Monday 27 July 2015

"Who's the quiet one in the corner?"

Lets begin this by stating that I have always struggled writing these sorts of introductory 'things', but I would like to explain one reason why I love film as much as I do and it might help you get to know me better than any list of facts might.

As a long suffering introvert (when not full to the brim with whiskey) I tend not to enjoy talking about myself very often, preferring to talk about other things (often film and music) instead until I have built at least a bungalow-sized foundation of trust with said person or people. As such my love of anything but myself  has significantly grown since I was a child, in particular film. My mother was and remains a massive fan of Horror films and we would watch them avidly together when I was young. I had already seen films such as Psycho, Evil Dead, Halloween, The Thing, Dracula and many many others before the age of 5 or 6 and I would watch them and many more repeatedly whilst growing up. Some may be horrified by this, see it as inappropriate or whatever but this early introduction to adult films and the many happy memories associated with it is probably the biggest reason I love film so much and I wouldn't change any of it - and I didn't turn out to be THAT messed up at all so HA!


This scene from Salem's Lot didn't emotionally scar me at all...


Anyway, questionable parenting choices aside, time for that list of facts.

  • My real name is Sam, not Samuel (I like to tell people my mother died halfway through naming me)
  • Studying Film & Media at the University of Sunderland
  • Usually found enjoying - Film, Music, Comics, Video Games, Books, Writing, Pizza, Whiskey, Blueberry Rockstar, hunting achievements on Xbox, putting way too many hours into Destiny.
  • Usually found hating - Everything else
  • First film at the Cinema -  Jurassic Park
  • Favourite Film-makers - Guillermo Del Toro, Park Chan Wook, Andrea Arnold, Martin Scorsese, David Fincher, Rian Johnson, David Lynch, John Carpenter.
  • Least Favourite Film-makers - Tim Burton, Michael Bay, Judd Apatow, The Farrelly Brothers
There, now you know me about as much as most other people do.

Finally I would like to state that I am extremely excited to be a part of this blog as I greatly enjoy writing about the things that I love and the rest of the group are all lovely and interesting people that I enjoy spending time with. You will mostly find me writing about film and comics, however I will surely end up writing about a whole range of things from the worlds of television, video games and who knows what else. Either way I hope you enjoy everything you read from myself and the other folk on here.

...that is all.



No comments :

Post a Comment